History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jesmond Church of St Hilda

A Grade II Listed Building in North Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9923 / 54°59'32"N

Longitude: -1.6076 / 1°36'27"W

OS Eastings: 425201

OS Northings: 566479

OS Grid: NZ252664

Mapcode National: GBR SQ3.X5

Mapcode Global: WHC3K.8SP7

Entry Name: Jesmond Church of St Hilda

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024758

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304894

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: North Jesmond

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Hilda

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Newcastle upon Tyne

Listing Text

NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE THORNLEIGH STREET
(south side)
9/546 Jesmond. Church of
14.6. St. Hilda
GV II
Parish church, originally daughter church of St. George, Jesmond. 1900-5 by Hicks
and Charlewood. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; Graduated Lakeland slate
roof. Aisled nave and chancel, north-west belfry; north vestry. Perpendicular style.
Moulded 2-centred arch to double boarded door in west bay of north aisle; low
octagonal belfry at right. Square-headed 5-light windows in nave aisles, 2-light in
chancel. 5-light east window has 2-centred head and flowing tracery. Set-back
buttresses; roll-moulded parapet and gable coping with cross finial; hipped roof
to vestry. Tall central copper-covered fleche has swept eaves and slender iron cross
finial. Interior: painted plaster with ashlar arcades; pointed barrel roof. 4-bay
nave has alternate round and octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches on moulded
capitals; 2 octagonal piers to Lady chapel. Blind west arch; shouldered arch to
vestry door. Octagonal font has blind tracery and square flower bosses. War memorial
triptych by F.H. Newbery A.R.C.A. showing figures of soldier, sailor, locomotive
engineer and miner, with Saints Nicholas and Hilda, in cil, in north aisle.


Listing NGR: NZ2520166479


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.