History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Philip

A Grade II Listed Building in Wingrove, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9746 / 54°58'28"N

Longitude: -1.6332 / 1°37'59"W

OS Eastings: 423575

OS Northings: 564500

OS Grid: NZ235645

Mapcode National: GBR SLF.F1

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.W7G8

Entry Name: Church of St Philip

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024773

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304831

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Metropolitan District Ward: Wingrove

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Find accommodation in
Elswick

Listing Text

NZ 26 SW and NZ 2364 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE ST. PHILIP'S CLOSE
(east side)
11/491 and 18/491 Church of St. Philip
(formerly listed in
14.6.54 Longley Street.
GV II
Parish church 1871 by Redmayne. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; rubble
sandstone north walls; chamfered plinth. Welsh slate roof. Nave with north porch;
paired south transepts; narrower chancel and south vestry. Double door, with
ornamental wrought iron hinges, in double-chamfered surround in gabled porch. Lancet
windows on north, triple lancets on west, with sill string; plate tracery to 2-light
south windows, geometric tracery to tall 3-light east window. Gabled belfry at north
side of west gable. South chancel hall has very tall chimney stack with offsets.
Interior: painted plaster with ashlar dressings; arch-braced scissor-truss roof.
Blind north arcade of 4 bays; 2-bay south arcade to transepts; double-chamfered
arches on round columns or half-columns; tall chamfered chancel arch with inner
arch on fluted bracket. Hood moulds to arcades and to entrances. W.W.I. memorial
chancel panelling, in Tudor style, bears names of dead of parish (252 in all).
Piscina with billet moulding above. Square font on pink marble shafts. Thick hinges
to boarded door in north porch. High-quality glass in upper lights of each window and
one south chancel memorial window.


Listing NGR: NZ2357564500

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.