This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9775 / 54°58'39"N
Longitude: -1.609 / 1°36'32"W
OS Eastings: 425124
OS Northings: 564840
OS Grid: NZ251648
Mapcode National: GBR SPX.TJ
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.842Z
Entry Name: Church of St James with Hall, Sunday School and House Attached
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Last Amended: 17 May 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024820
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304752
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: South Jesmond
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2564 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE NORTHUMBERLAND ROAD
17/425 Church of St.James with
30.3.87 hall, Sunday School and
Congregational, now United Reformed, Church. 1882-4 by T. Lewis Banks. Snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings; grey and green slate roofs. Cruciform church,
with corner, and side aisles, aligned north-south; ritual west porches and
vestibule; Sunday School,hall and house behind. Free C13 style. Gabled west front has 10 arched windows under tall 5-bay arcade, the outer bays blind; higher blind arcade in gable peak; angle buttresses with spirelets. Flanking gabled porches have double doors with elaborate hinges, triple nook shafts, shouldered surrounds and carved tympana. Lancet windows, paired in corner and triple in side aisles. Complex high roofs, with slate-hung central lantern and tall octagonal spire.
Interior: walls rendered, with ashlar dressings, above boarded dado. 4 square
piers with shafts to arches of side aisles and lower arches of corner aisles.
Glass roof on pendentives to lantern; arch-braced collar trusses to side aisles.
West gallery. High Gothic-style pulpit with wrought-iron grilles. Choir pews
are memorial to dead of both world wars. Much C19 painted glass, including, 2
windows by Atkinson Bros. of Newcastle in memory of Elizabeth and Florence Dunford of 1888 and 1919; and one by G. J. Baguley and Son in memory of William Crossley d.1918. Source: J.C.G. Binfield 'The Building of a Town Centre Church : St James ' Congregational Church, Newcastle upon Tyne' Northern History v.XVIII, Leeds 1983, pp.l53-181.
Listing NGR: NZ2512464839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings