History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Elswick, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9707 / 54°58'14"N

Longitude: -1.6343 / 1°38'3"W

OS Eastings: 423505

OS Northings: 564064

OS Grid: NZ235640

Mapcode National: GBR SL7.X1

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.VBX8

Entry Name: Church of St Paul

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024846

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304623

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Electoral Ward/Division: Elswick

Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Elswick St Stephen and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Elswick

Listing Text

NZ 23506406 NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE HAVELOCK STREET
NZ 2364 SE (north side)
11/305 and 18/305 Church of St. Paul
14/6/54

G.V. II

Parish church. 1856-9 designed by John Dobson. Chancel re-fitted c. 1950. Sandstone ashlar with roll-moulded plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled nave and chancel; south porch. Porch has 2-centred arch with nook shafts and head-stopped drip mould to double door with elaborate hinges, in high-gabled porch with lancet in gable peak. Paired lancets in aisles, 2-centred-arched clerestory windows. 2 tall west lancets flanking a buttress, with wheel window in gable peak. Triple east lancets under quatrefoil. South-west pinnacle with gabled slits has stone spirelet. Aisles have mask corbel tables and buttresses. INTERIOR: painted plaster with ashlar dressings above boarded dado; arch-braced roof. Round piers to 2-centred double-chamfered arches of 6-bay arcades. Stained glass includes west window of north aisle by Wailes and Strang, 1903; other glass removed from nearby church. Monuments include on the west wall a marble memorial to Marcus Allen, a former vicar, died 1843, with portrait relief; and low-relief portrait on pillar, in marble, with weeping woman, by R. G. Davies in classical style, commemorating Amos Spoor died 1842 and other members of his family.


Listing NGR: NZ2350564064

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.