This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9839 / 54°59'2"N
Longitude: -1.6254 / 1°37'31"W
OS Eastings: 424073
OS Northings: 565546
OS Grid: NZ240655
Mapcode National: GBR SMK.23
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.0Z9M
Entry Name: Chimney Mill and Mill House
Listing Date: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024905
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304470
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: Wingrove
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLAREMONT ROAD
8/163 Chimney Mill and
Mill and house, later golf club, now offices. 1782 by Smeaton. Built as 5-sailed
mill. House of brick with painted ashlar dressings: 2 storeys, 3 bays; golf
club front, added 1892, has bracketed canopy and raised surround, with NGC
(Newcastle Golf Club) on one bracket and 1892 on the other, flanked by windows in
raised stone surrounds; similar surround to single and tripartite first floor
windows; battlemented parapet. Mill above of weatherboarding with wooden gallery:
octagonal, with bargeboarded gables to windows in alternate bays; parapet.
Historical note: in use as a mill until 1892; as a golf club until 1975.
Windshaft and cap removed 1951.
Listing NGR: NZ2407365546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings