This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9758 / 54°58'32"N
Longitude: -1.5857 / 1°35'8"W
OS Eastings: 426617
OS Northings: 564653
OS Grid: NZ266646
Mapcode National: GBR ST9.3D
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.M63B
Entry Name: Church of St Silas
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024914
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304493
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: South Heaton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Byker St Silas
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 SE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CLIFFORD STREET
(south side) Byker
12/186 Church of St. Silas
Parish church. 1886 by R.J. Johnson; alterations 1899. Snecked sandstone with
ashlar plinth, quoins and dressings; roof of plain tiles with stone gable copings.
Nave and chancel with north aisle; north-west baptistry. Steps up to 2-centred
arched double door in moulded surround in north aisle westernmost bay; similar
door and 2-light window to vestry in east end of aisle. Similar west doors,
inserted in 1899, flank large round-headed window with tracery; blind arcade
below continuous sill and drip string. 2-and 4-light square-headed windows of
aisle and baptistry have stone mullions and elliptical-headed lights. East
window inserted in 1899 similar to west window. Battlemented octagonal belfry
turret at north-west has canted baptistry adjoining. Interior: painted plaster
above boarded dado; arch-braced collar truss roof. 5-bay arcade of tall
octagonal piers and elliptical double-chamfered arches with hood moulds.
Gothic-style reredos of Caen stone was 1899 gift from vicar; painted panelled
coved canopy above. Octagonal stone font on arcaded base surrounded by wood
rail and kneeler. Glass in east and baptistry windows by Atkinson Bros. of
Newcastle. Stone low-relief panel in south wall commemorating Elizabeth
Harbottle, founder of the Harbottle Charity, has angels flanking inscription
of early C2O. Source: Parish Magazine of St. Silas, Byker, 1898-1900.
Listing NGR: NZ2661764653
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings