This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9881 / 54°59'17"N
Longitude: -1.5929 / 1°35'34"W
OS Eastings: 426146
OS Northings: 566023
OS Grid: NZ261660
Mapcode National: GBR SS7.ZR
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.HWPD
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 30 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024942
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304461
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: South Jesmond
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Jesmond Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NE NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE CHURCHILL GARDENS
9/156 Church of the Holy Trinity
17/12/71 (formerly listed in
Parish church. 1908 chancel by Hicks and Charlewood; 1920-22 nave and tower
completed by Hoare and Wheeler. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; Lakeland
slate roof. West tower with north and south stair turrets; aisled nave and south
porch; aisled chancel and north vestry. Gothic style. Gabled porch has elliptical-
headed double door in hollow-chamfered surround with Tudor roses under crocketed
ogee dripmould. 3-stage tower has tall 3-light east window, 2-light window above,
and paired elliptical-headed belfry openings; set-back buttresses and tall spire.
Decorated windows, 2-light except for 5-light east window. Aisles buttressed.
Parapets, those of tower, nave and nave aisles battlemented. Interior: ashlar;
queen-post nave roof, arch-braced chancel roof. 6-bay round arcades on chamfered
square piers without capitals; aisle arches spring from shafts on piers. Chancel
and tower arches; 2 arches to Lady Chapel. Rear arches to windows. Tower
baptistry has stone font on pedestal and shafts with font cover; chancel arch has
rood beam. Oak panelling in chancel with inscription recording it as gift from
Dalgliesh family in thanksgiving for victory in 1918. Bronze plaques record gift
of chancel and Lady Chapel as memorials to Hoare family. Bronze panel records
gift of nave and tower by Dalgliesh family as Great War memorial. High quality glass
throughout with military insignia. Source: I. Curry 'Some Aspects of Church
Building in Northumberland', in W.S.F. Pickering ed. A Social History of the
Diocese of Newcastle Stocksfield, 1981.
Listing NGR: NZ2614666023
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings