History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael with St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9742 / 54°58'27"N

Longitude: -1.5752 / 1°34'30"W

OS Eastings: 427290

OS Northings: 564479

OS Grid: NZ272644

Mapcode National: GBR SVT.D8

Mapcode Global: WHC3R.S73K

Entry Name: Church of St Michael with St Lawrence

Listing Date: 14 June 1954

Last Amended: 30 March 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024948

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304375

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE6

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Metropolitan District Ward: Byker

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Byker St Michael with St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Saint Peters

Listing Text

NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE AVONDALE ROAD (north side)
NZ 26 SE
Byker.
12/76 Church of St. Michael with
St. Lawrence (formerly listed
14.6.54 in Headlam Street)
II
G.V.
Parish church. 1862-3 by W.L. Moffat. 1936 addition of north aisle and vestry.
Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings and plinth; Welsh slate roofs with
stone gable copings. Aisled nave with tower over south porch; chancel with
north organ chamber and north vestry. Decorated style. Porch in second bay
has moulded pointed arch with recessed boarded door; stone porch seats; 2 upper
stages of tower have cusped lancets and 3-light bell openings; stone broach
spire with lucarnes. 2-light aisle and chancel windows, 3-light east window
and 4-light west window have block-stopped dripmoulds. Buttresses, diagonal
at corners. 3 steeply-pitched roofs. Interior: Plaster with boarded dado in
south aisle and ashlar dressings; arch-braced collar-beam roof to nave,
scissor-braced to aisles and arch-braced to chancel, all resting on shafted
corbels. 5-bay arcades with circular piers on south and octagonal on north;
high chancel arch; aisle and 3-bay chancel arcade to organ chamber. Flat Tudor
arch to vestry door. Octagonal Gothic font with shields 1843 by R. Scott;
Gothic font cover. Glass in north aisle commemorates H.T. Ormerod, curate,
1893-189?


Listing NGR: NZ2729064479

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.