This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.979 / 54°58'44"N
Longitude: -1.6321 / 1°37'55"W
OS Eastings: 423645
OS Northings: 564992
OS Grid: NZ236649
Mapcode National: GBR SLL.79
Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.W3ZW
Entry Name: Former North Guard House and Attached Wall to North West, Fenham Barracks
Listing Date: 17 December 1971
Last Amended: 4 February 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024950
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304381
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: Wingrove
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 26 NW
(North East side)
Former N guard house and attached wall to north-west, Fenham Barracks
Barrack guard house and office, later restaurant, disused at time of inspection. 1804-06, by James Wyatt, Surveyor General to the Ordnance Board, restaurant 1970-90. Brown sandstone ashlar guard house with ashlar gable stacks, rear brick block, with slate hipped and gabled roof. Single-depth plan with offices to the left. EXTERIOR: Single storey; windowless street front, 9-window rear office elevation. Guard house gable has a coped pediment with raised comer blocks, a central raised round-headed niche in a blind recess beneath an overhanging blind oriel on moulded stone brackets, rising to the top of the pediment, and containing 3 rifle slots beneath a blind lunette; 4 courses from the ground the quoins are replaced by wide cast-iron blocks. To the left a coped wall with flat-headed opening and rusticated pier to former barracks entrance; Brick block has flat-headed openings, boarded at time of survey (1994). INTERIOR: Not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Attached former barracks wall with flat coping, forming the front wall to the office, extends approximately 100m to the north-west. HISTORY: The Ordnance Board were responsible for Artillery barracks during the Napoleonic War. One of a pair of striking and unusual guard houses to Fenham Artillery Barracks, connected by a late C20 glazed archway to the gateway (not of special interest), and part of a group with the former sergeants' messes (qqv). (Mackenzie: History of Newcastle: 1827-: 710; Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series: Breihan J: Army Barracks in the NE in the Era of the French Revolution: 1990-: 171).
Listing NGR: NZ2364564992
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings