This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9782 / 54°58'41"N
Longitude: -1.6128 / 1°36'46"W
OS Eastings: 424877
OS Northings: 564909
OS Grid: NZ248649
Mapcode National: GBR SPC.FL
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.647H
Entry Name: Church of St Thomas the Martyr
Listing Date: 14 June 1954
Last Amended: 11 March 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1024952
English Heritage Legacy ID: 304386
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Metropolitan District Ward: South Jesmond
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 2464 NE
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
BARRAS BRIDGE (South end)
Church of St Thomas The Martyr
Extra-parochial peculiar church. 1825-30 by John Dobson. Sandstone ashlar; Welsh slate roof. Aisled nave clasping west tower; shallow chancel with north and south porches. Modified Early English style. Wrought iron gates to west porch in tower with cross-ribbed vault and high arches to aisles and nave. 4-stage tower has high moulded west arch, with triple nook shafts flanked by blind lancets under pierced sloping parapets. Double flying buttresses to second stage with blind arcade; clock in low third stage. Tall, empty 2-light belfry openings. Pierced parapet with corner spirelets in octagonal buttresses, and centre-side pinnacles. Lancet windows, paired in 5-bay nave and triple with shafts in east front; tall pinnacles on buttreses, angle at corners.
INTERIOR has plaster above wainscotting; ribbed cross vaults to nave and aisles on slender quatrefoil piers. Galleries on 3 sides, the west containing 1837, organ inserted in 1960. East glass 1881; other C19 glass in north aisle. White marble memorial to Robert Wasney died 1836 by C. Tate - woman standing ' beside altar. Battle honours of 1899-1902 in South Africa War and 1914-1918 in Great War, of 6th Northumberland Fusiliers, framed at east end of north aisle. Historical note: built by the Trustees of the St. Mary Magdalene and Holy Jesus Hospitals to replace the medieval chapel at the end of Tyne Bridge.
Listing NGR: NZ2487764909
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings