History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Victoria School for the Blind

A Grade II Listed Building in Benwell and Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9726 / 54°58'21"N

Longitude: -1.6695 / 1°40'10"W

OS Eastings: 421252

OS Northings: 564273

OS Grid: NZ212642

Mapcode National: GBR JBSY.B7

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.B87R

Entry Name: Royal Victoria School for the Blind

Listing Date: 17 December 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024958

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304401

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE15

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Metropolitan District Ward: Benwell and Scotswood

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Benwell and Scotwood Team

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Elswick

Listing Text

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side)

11/98 Royal Victoria School for the
Blind. Benwell Dene
17.12.71

G.V. II


House, now school. 1865 by Alfred Waterhouse for Dr. Thomas Hodgkin. Hammer-
dressed snecked sandstone with ashlar plinth and dressings; graduated dark slate
roof with serrated ridge tiles and stone gable copings. Irregular plan. Tudor-
Gothic style. 2 storeys and attics; entrance front of 6 bays, with one at left
and 2 at right gabled and breaking forward to range round courtyard; 2 bays set
back at left, 4 bays extending to right from gabled end of right wing. Extruded
2 storey porch at left of courtyard contains boarded door; loggia, now glazed,
in inner right return, has 2 paired openings, central octagonal columns with
cushion capitals, and low walls except in right entrance bay which has panelled
door with etched glazing under 2-centred arch. Scattered fenestration. 3-light
stone-mullioned-and-transomed stair window at right of central section. All
other windows sashes with flat stone lintels, alternate-block jambs with
shouldered chamfers, and sloping sills. Left projection has rounded ground floor
corners corbelled out to first floor continuous string; above this are 3
elliptical-headed niches containing low-relief coats of arms. Central section
has 3 high-gabled dormers with bargeboards and clove finials. Many ashlar-coped
ridge chimneys with buttresses and square yellow pots. Interior shows geometric-
patterned tiled entrance hall and dog-leg stair with pierced balustrade and grip
handrail. Stair window glass has coats of arms of Middlesex, Newcastle and
Cornwall, initials TH and LAH and date 1865. Gothic cast-iron radiator cover
in hall. Historical note: Hodgkin was a notable local historian. He gave the
house to the Royal Victoria Home in 1894, and at the same time gave its grounds
to the then Urban District of Benwell as a public park. Source: M. Hope Dodds,
Northumberland County History, 1930, p.234.


Listing NGR: NZ2125264273

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.