History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II Listed Building in Benwell and Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9709 / 54°58'15"N

Longitude: -1.6611 / 1°39'40"W

OS Eastings: 421791

OS Northings: 564080

OS Grid: NZ217640

Mapcode National: GBR JBVY.5W

Mapcode Global: WHC3Q.GB63

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 17 December 1971

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024959

English Heritage Legacy ID: 304403

Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4

County: Newcastle upon Tyne

Metropolitan District Ward: Benwell and Scotswood

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Benwell and Scotwood Team

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Elswick

Listing Text

NZ 26 SW NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE BENWELL LANE (south side)
Benwell

11/100 Church of St. James.
17.12.71

G.V. II


Chapel of ease 1832; parish church 1843. By John Dobson; 1864 nave and aisle
added, 1879-80 organ chamber and vestry. 1895 additions of spire, choir vestry,
porch by Hicks and Charlewood. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar plinth and
dressings; dark slate roof with flat stone gable copings. West tower, north-
west porch; aisled nave and chancel. Mostly Norman style. 3-stage tower has
round-headed windows in first stage, blank second and arched belfry openings
containing 2 round arches and a shared shaft; corbel table to coped parapet
with octagonal corner pinnacles; octagonal stone spire with slender gabled
lucarnes; double boarded north door, with elaborate hinges, in moulded arch;
west door in south aisle in plain round arch of 2 Orders. 5-bay aisles have
round-headed windows, paired in north-east bay and in south aisle which has
3 low gabled tomb recesses; 2-bay chancel aisles and tripIe east window. Steeply-
pitched roofs to aisles and nave and lower chancel. Interior: painted plaster
above wainscoting; queen-post roof with painted stencilled decoration to tie
beams on elaborately-shaped brackets. North arcade has simple moulded capitals
and slightly chamfered arches; lower south arcade of octagonal piers now blocked
to make south aisle into parish hall. Baptistry in tower has Gothic font with
granite shaft and quatrefoil bowl. 2-centred chancel arch with inner arch on
corbelled, paired shafts; slightly chamfered round arch to Lady chapel. Painted
arcaded stone reredos with statues; high-quality brass communion rail commemorates
former vicar, F. Jobling.


Listing NGR: NZ2179164080

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.