History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court

A Grade II Listed Building in Norwich, Norfolk

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6455 / 52°38'43"N

Longitude: 1.3041 / 1°18'14"E

OS Eastings: 623618

OS Northings: 310436

OS Grid: TG236104

Mapcode National: GBR WBM.V9

Mapcode Global: WHMTG.0R8Q

Entry Name: Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court

Listing Date: 10 August 1971

Last Amended: 8 April 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1024994

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229108

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich

Town: Norwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Sewell

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Sprowston St Mary and St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Norwich

Listing Text

TG 21 SW GILMAN ROAD
2/354
10.8.71 Lime Kiln at Mousehold Court
(Formerly listed as Lime Kiln
to rear of No. 221 Sprowston Rd.)
- II
Lime Kiln. Circa 1780 - 1820. Red brick and flint.
The main workings of the kiln are below ground and were approached originally
by a staircase down a shaft. Access is now via a C20 ladder down the other
shaft formerly used for hauling up sacks of lime. The original stairs lead
to a circular gallery with a base of flint and an arch of brick voussoirs
skirting the base of the kiln. The bowl (approximately 5m diameter) into
which the chalk and coal were poured from above has air and stoke holes at
its base, together with the grilles through which the lime was removed.
Once fired the kiln would burn for a year and would only require stoking.
It was in use until 1968, and was the last working lime kiln in the City.
It is reputed to be the last of such kilns to be worked in Britain. The
machine used for grinding chalk on the surface has now disappeared but the
shape of the kiln has been marked in the C20 landscaped courtyard and there
is a trap door to the underground structure. Interior not inspected during
the re-survey.


Listing NGR: TG2361810436

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.