History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Merchant Taylors' Almshouses

A Grade II* Listed Building in Central, City of Bristol

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.457 / 51°27'25"N

Longitude: -2.589 / 2°35'20"W

OS Eastings: 359173

OS Northings: 173276

OS Grid: ST591732

Mapcode National: GBR C9J.FK

Mapcode Global: VH88N.2MNY

Entry Name: Merchant Taylors' Almshouses

Listing Date: 8 January 1959

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025053

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379992

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Local Authority Ward: Central

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Bristol

Listing Text


BRISTOL

ST5973 MERCHANT STREET, Broadmead
901-1/40/485 (West side)
08/01/59 Nos.19 AND 21
Merchant Taylors' Almshouses
(Formerly Listed as:
MERCHANT STREET, Broadmead
(West side)
Nos.19 AND 21
Lloyds Bank)

GV II*

Almshouse, now bank. Dated 1701. Render over brick, rendered
lateral stacks and a slate hipped roof. U-shaped plan with
wings flanking front courtyard. Early Georgian style. 2
storeys; 4-window range. Symmetrical with deep projecting
wings to a courtyard. Chamfered quoins, first-floor string and
modillion cornice to boxed eaves; the central doorway has a
good bracketed shell hood, a plain surround and 2-leaf 2-panel
doors; matching doorways face across the courtyard with carved
brackets to a pedimented hood. C20 cross windows flanking the
main door, 3 to each side of the courtyard and 2 in the ends.
Above the door is a large, painted panel bearing the arms of
the Merchant Taylor's Guild, and flanking it the inscription
ANNODM/1701. INTERIOR not inspected. One of Bristol's earliest
brick buildings, it was built by the Guild for the
accommodation of 9 persons, each side of the building having 3
dwellings.


Listing NGR: ST5917373276

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.