This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.1676 / 50°10'3"N
Longitude: -5.0997 / 5°5'59"W
OS Eastings: 178732
OS Northings: 34333
OS Grid: SW787343
Mapcode National: GBR ZC.GFLH
Mapcode Global: FRA 086L.316
Entry Name: Nos 4, 5 and 6 and Attached Forecourt Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 28 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025081
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365849
Location: Penryn, Cornwall, TR10
Civil Parish: Penryn
Built-Up Area: Penryn
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: St Gluvias
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SW7834SE THE SQUARE
580-1/6/170 (North side)
28/01/49 Nos.4, 5 AND 6
and attached forecourt walls and
3 town houses. No.5 is C17, Nos 4 & 6 are early C18 or C17
remodelled early C18. Render on granite ashlar to front of
No.5 (left) otherwise rubble walls; steep dry slate roof with
4 raking dormers to front; brick end stacks and lateral stack
to left of No.4.
Large overall plan ranged around a courtyard: No.5 with
single-depth range plus stair wing behind left-hand side and
kitchen on its right, plus chamber above wing beyond stair
wing over ground-floor room of No.4 which is 2 ranges linked
at the corner; No.6 (right of 5) is double-depth including
later additions at rear. 2 storeys plus attic; overall
8-window range front.
Late C19 or C20 twelve-pane horned sashes; pilastered doorway
with consoles and cornice and 6-panel door right of centre to
No.5 and similar doorway and door left of No.6. No.4 has
pilastered doorcase to left-hand return and C18 coved cornice
to opposite side.
INTERIOR of 5 has original late C17 open-well closed-string
staircase with heavy turned oak balusters, newels, finials and
pendants and moulded pine strings and handrails; unusual C17
roof structure with oak trusses with curved feet, no collars
(originally) or tie beams but truss feet jointed onto
wallplate which in turn is carried on pine floor joists of
attic (similar to also hidden joists to floor below),
supported on timber-frame wall to rear of front range (similar
to Nos 24, 26 and 28 Lower Market Street (qv)). No.6 includes
early C18 dogleg stair with turned balusters.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached forecourt walls with granite
plinths to wrought-iron railings with turned stanchions and
arrowhead finials to bars.
Listing NGR: SW7873234333
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings