History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hereford, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0566 / 52°3'23"N

Longitude: -2.7176 / 2°43'3"W

OS Eastings: 350892

OS Northings: 240043

OS Grid: SO508400

Mapcode National: GBR FL.DLHD

Mapcode Global: VH85N.VK5S

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 10 June 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025105

English Heritage Legacy ID: 372362

Location: Hereford, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Hereford

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Hereford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Hereford

Listing Text


HEREFORD

SO5040SE HIGH STREET
683-1/6/181 (North side)
10/06/52 Church of All Saints

GV II*

Parish church. C13 and C14. Coursed rubble; ashlar sandstone;
slate and tile roof; ashlar tower and spire. Nave; chancel;
south aisles; tower with spire; north and south chapels.
EXTERIOR: North front: 5 Perpendicular windows with stained
and coloured glass; stepped buttresses; moulded parapet;
gargoyles. East front: 4-light stained glass window with
cinquefoil head, under pointed arch. West front: C20 restored
window; 4-light window to South aisle. South front: porch with
wrought-iron gates and plank doors, under enriched pointed
arch with moulded and decorated spandrels, and castellated
parapet; doorway to North under moulded pointed arch with
enriched spandrels, moulded jambs, and hood-moulding; various
2-and 3-light mullions; enriched buttress finials.
Castellated tower with corner buttresses and louvred lancets;
ribbed spire with finials to louvred lancets, and weathercock.
INTERIOR: pulpit, c1621. C14 stalls with misericordes, and
chest. C16 font (from which David Garrick was baptised in
1717); C17 reredos; C15 tiles and wall painting; Chained
Library of some 300 books, the second largest in England (The
largest being held at Hereford Cathedral (qv)).
(Duncumb J: History of the County of Hereford: 1804-:
592-597).


Listing NGR: SO5089240043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.