This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7134 / 51°42'48"N
Longitude: -1.9659 / 1°57'57"W
OS Eastings: 402449
OS Northings: 201632
OS Grid: SP024016
Mapcode National: GBR 3QY.FSY
Mapcode Global: VHB2Q.W61B
Entry Name: Bowly's Pump
Listing Date: 19 January 1981
Last Amended: 24 May 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025117
English Heritage Legacy ID: 365467
Location: Cirencester, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL7
Civil Parish: Cirencester
Built-Up Area: Cirencester
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Cirencester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
SP0201 WATERMOOR ROAD
578-1/6/329 (East side)
19/01/81 Bowly's Pump
(Formerly Listed as:
Front boundary walls and pump house
to Sarah Bowley Almshouses)
Pump and pump house. Pump 1864 re-sited. Pump house 1924-5 by
N Jewson. Ashlar piers to front, coursed squared limestone
rubble to sides and rear; stone slate hipped roof. Small
rectangular structure open to front sheltering attached
timber-encased pump and small stone trough with curved front.
Timber lintel over opening has incised lettering BOWLY'S PUMP.
Rear angles rounded off with roof corbelled out over. The pump
was originally installed in 1864 as a gift to the almhouses
and neighbourhood by Thomas Brewin. It was moved to its
present site probably at the same time as the construction of
the shelter, and also the Sarah Bowly Almshouses behind
(q.v.). Included for group value.
(DoE: List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic
Listing NGR: SP0244901631
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings