This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9779 / 54°58'40"N
Longitude: -1.7656 / 1°45'56"W
OS Eastings: 415100
OS Northings: 564831
OS Grid: NZ151648
Mapcode National: GBR JB3W.KC
Mapcode Global: WHC3N.V4FQ
Entry Name: Church of Holy Cross
Listing Date: 21 January 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025160
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303854
Location: Gateshead, NE40
Electoral Ward/Division: Ryton, Crookhill and Stella
Built-Up Area: Ryton
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Ryton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
NZ 1564 NW RYTON THE GREEN
21.1.49 Church of Holy Cross
Parish church. C13 restored 1877-1886. Rainwater heads dated 1826.
Coursed squared sandstone with plinth and ashlar dressings; roof of
graduated Lakeland slate with flat stone gable copings; lead roof to broach
spire. Aisled west tower and nave; south porch; chancel with north vestry.
Tower: tall lancet flanked by tall buttresses; lancets and shouldered
belfry openings in upper stages under flower-decorated corbel table.
Aisles have Perpendicular windows: east and west lancets; north blocked
pointed-arched door in second bay from west; parapets battlemented at
west. 2 shafts to 2-centred doorway of porch which has stone seats; nook
shafts to pointed-arched church door. Chancel has south priest's door
under fifth of 5 lancets; sixth window 2-light Transitional. East front
has almond-shaped window above 3 lancets; 3 stepped buttresses. Clasping
buttresses to aisles and chancel; head-stopped-chamfered buttress between
third and fourth lancets of chancel. Chancel blind on north. Interior: painted
rubble, some plaster. Crown-post nave roof; C19 square-panelled chancel roof.
Double-chamfered arches spring from corbels on square piers of open tower,
some with nail-head decoration. Mask corbels to double-chamfered 3-bay
nave arcades on octagonal piers at east, round piers at west. Dado of re-used
box pews with diabolo balustrade panels. Tree painting on plaster reveals of
west window. C19 carved oak pulpit on Frosterley marble columns and octagonal stone
pedestal; C17 figures on ends of choir stalls; re-used rood screen. Mural
brasses to members of Bunnyfamily, including Francis, rector of Ryton,
died 1617. C13 Stanhope marble effigy of priest in chancel. 2 hatchments
in south aisle. C14 Flemish glass re-used in west window, east bay of
chancel, and south aisle, all restored by W. Wailes c.1848. East window
by Kempe 1884; east window in south aisle 1889 by H. Holliday.
1886 spiral stair to tower of slender wooden ogee-arched construction.
Source: D. A. Briggs and N.I. Dugdale Holy Cross Church (Gloucester n.d.).
Listing NGR: NZ1509964831
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings