This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9768 / 54°58'36"N
Longitude: -1.522 / 1°31'19"W
OS Eastings: 430694
OS Northings: 564792
OS Grid: NZ306647
Mapcode National: GBR KBTW.9R
Mapcode Global: WHC3S.L5GK
Entry Name: Church of St Aloysius
Listing Date: 26 February 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025193
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303732
Location: South Tyneside, NE31
County: South Tyneside
Electoral Ward/Division: Hebburn North
Built-Up Area: Hebburn
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Hebburn St Cuthbert and St Oswald
Church of England Diocese: Durham
BELL STREET (north side)
Church of St Aloysius
RC parish church. 1888 by C Walker of Newcastle. Polychrome brick with terracotta
and sandstone dressings; roof of Welsh slate. 4-bay nave, with north and south
aisles and south porch; 2-bay chancel. Double transepts, apsidal chapel to
north transept. North and south elevations : 3 over 3 lancet windows to each
transept gable, with 3 slit openings in the peaks : 3 lancets to each aisle
bay, 2 to each bay in the clerestory; angle buttresses with 1 set-back and gablets
at east and west ends, buttresses with 3 set-backs to transepts and aisles.
West elevation : round window, sandstone, with plate tracery in round-headed
brick recess having gauged brick arch; small lancets in peak flank corbelled
pilaster bearing cross finial. Hood moulds, beast and flower stops, strings,
gable and buttress copings of terracotta. Interior : boarded roof with scissor-
braced trusses, alternate ones having strutted arch braces and resting on corbels
of stone and brick, continuous over nave and chancel; Lady Chapel apsidal with
arch-braced wood roof; north transept contains gallery with organ case, but
only corbels show position of south gallery either removed or not built; central
arcaded beam supports transept roofs; corbels of angels and mythical beasts;
glass, mostly original, by Reed Millican of Newcastle. Furnishings: altar and
reredos by John Gallagher of Newcastle, are Gothic, as are the side screens
and communion rail and pulpit of similar design. Source : Jarrow Express 8th
June, 1888, p.7: report of opening.
Listing NGR: NZ3069464792
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings