History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hebburn Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Hebburn South, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9711 / 54°58'15"N

Longitude: -1.5155 / 1°30'55"W

OS Eastings: 431115

OS Northings: 564160

OS Grid: NZ311641

Mapcode National: GBR KBVY.PS

Mapcode Global: WHC3S.P9KX

Entry Name: Hebburn Hall

Listing Date: 28 May 1948

Last Amended: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303734

Location: South Tyneside, NE31

County: South Tyneside

Metropolitan District Ward: Hebburn South

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Hebburn St John

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Hebburn

Listing Text

NZ 36SW HEBBURN CANNING STREET (south side)

2/74 Hebburn Hall (formerly
listed as Ellison Hall
Infirmary and St John's
28.5.48 Vicarage)

GV II

Ellison Hall masonic club. Mostly 1790-2, incorporating earlier house in the
western part, with some 1819 alterations. Possibly by William Newton; alterations
by John Dobson; for the Ellison family. Sandstone ashlar with Welsh slate roof.
U-shaped plan. 3 storeys, 9 windows to garden front, 5 to each return. South
elevation to garden : pedimented central 3-bay projection containing 6-panelled
door at left under large fanlight; a similar door in centre of right 3 bays;
glazing bars of fanlights similar to those of windows; doors and window all
have architraves, those of ground and first floors having cornices with bracketed
pediments above ground 5th and first floor 2nd, 5th and 8th windows; bands,
eaves cornice. Right return : similar windows; central Venetian double door
having stilted fanlight, bracketed pediment to the window above; bands, eaves
cornice. Left return; central door, under 3-pane oblong fanlight; mid C19 bay
windows either side; bands at second floor level; eaves cornice. Hipped roof
has 4 corniced ashlar stacks across ridges, 3 at rear. West wing has extensive
cellars. Interior : cornices to hall and upper hall, dado and C19 balustrade
to open well staircase. Room to left of entrance has ceiling decorated with
stucco floral motifs, probably by the Rose family. Historical note : the manor
became the property of the Ellison family in 1650. (Formerly 2 separate items:
Ellison Hall Infirmary and St John's Vicarage).


Listing NGR: NZ3111564160

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.