History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cleadon House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cleadon and East Boldon, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9539 / 54°57'13"N

Longitude: -1.4031 / 1°24'11"W

OS Eastings: 438323

OS Northings: 562299

OS Grid: NZ383622

Mapcode National: GBR LCN4.0Z

Mapcode Global: WHD4Z.FR25

Entry Name: Cleadon House

Listing Date: 25 February 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025212

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303681

Location: South Tyneside, SR6

County: South Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Cleadon and East Boldon

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Cleadon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: East Boldon

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Boldon

Listing Text

NZ 36 SE
3/22
25.2.49

BOLDON
FRONT STREET (south side)
Cleadon

Cleadon House

GV
II*

House. Supposedly 1738 (rainwater heads) for John Dagnia of South Shields, glass
manufacturer. Brick with stone dressings; roof of plain tiles. Simple block
plan. 2 storeys, 5 windows, including a central Venetian staircase window, all
with broad moulded glazing bars, raised surrounds and projecting cills. Plinth,
raised quoins; band and coping to parapet of parallel-ridged roof; 4 corniced end
brick chimneys. Later porch off-centre; brick with raised quoins and raised
surround to door with 6 fielded panels; flat roof. South front to garden has
scrolled pediment to central door, moulded architraves to all windows, large
oblong fanlights with radial decoration above two side doors; a C19 conservatory
encloses the 3 doors. Interior: staircase has dado rail and cornice and a
wrought-iron balustrade of c.1750 in a rococo design of leaves, seed-pods and
curved bars; the front porch has been inserted beneath this; doors to main rooms
in hall have corniced picture-panels; fluted pilasters support an elliptical arch
to the narrower section of hall opposite the stairs.

Listing NGR: NZ3832362299

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.