History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitburn and Marsden, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9481 / 54°56'53"N

Longitude: -1.3685 / 1°22'6"W

OS Eastings: 440545

OS Northings: 561679

OS Grid: NZ405616

Mapcode National: GBR LCW7.J1

Mapcode Global: WHD4Z.YWHK

Entry Name: Parish Church

Listing Date: 25 February 1949

Last Amended: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303662

Location: South Tyneside, SR6

County: South Tyneside

Electoral Ward/Division: Whitburn and Marsden

Built-Up Area: Whitburn

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Whitburn

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Sunderland

Listing Text

NZ 46 SW BOLDON CHURCH LANE (west side)
Whitburn
4/3
Parish Church (formerly
25.2.49 listed as Whitburn Parish
Church)

GV II

Large parish church, C13 with C15 upper stage of tower and C19 restorations,
particularly of windows. 5-bay nave with north and south aisles and south porch,
5-bay chancel with north porch; west tower. Ashlar and roughly coursed rubble, all
sandstone, and Westmoreland slate roof. Diagonal buttresses to 3-stage tower, clasping
to chancel, angle to south aisle and south porch; decorated windows are C19 except
for parts of 4 on south side of chancel and one on north; priest's door on south side
of chancel blocked in 1867. Nave arcades have plain capitals bearing double-chamfered
arches. Almond-shaped window, with glass by L C Evetts of Newcastle, in the west
wall of the south aisle. Tomb of Michael Matthew of Cleadon, died 1689, by Wm. Smith;
reclining figure of the period, a skull between the feet; contemporary-costumed
weepers. Two pre-Reformation bells dedicated to Sts. Mary and Andrew; it is presumably
for this reason that the church is sometimes said to be dedicated to either saint;
however, its original dedication, if any, is not known.


Listing NGR: NZ4054561679

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.