History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II Listed Building in Cleadon and East Boldon, South Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.9544 / 54°57'15"N

Longitude: -1.3991 / 1°23'56"W

OS Eastings: 438582

OS Northings: 562357

OS Grid: NZ385623

Mapcode National: GBR LCN4.XS

Mapcode Global: WHD4Z.HQ0S

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 26 February 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025247

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303667

Location: South Tyneside, SR6

County: South Tyneside

Metropolitan District Ward: Cleadon and East Boldon

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Cleadon All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Westoe

Listing Text

NZ 36 SE BOLDON CLEADON LANE (south side)
Cleadon
3/8
Church of All Saints

GV II

Parish church. 1869 by R J Johnson, south aisle 1907. Snecked limestone rubble
with sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, high-pitched roofs of Welsh slate with
stone coping to nave and aisle, in Early English style. Nave with south aisle and
south porch, chancel with 3-sided apse, north transept. 2 windows of 3 lights in
nave and aisle; south door in chamfered opening between recessed columns on
plinths, with drip mould; 2 buttresses to aisle. Transept has a 2-light window in
the gable and an east door with flower stops to a drip-mould. Roof has stone
cross finial at west, iron at east; above the chancel a hexagonal timber bellcote
with Welsh slate spirelet and iron finial; chimney at the transept gable.
Interior: south arcade of 2 wide bays, paintings of Garden of Gethsemane by
J Eadie Read of Newcastle c.1914 in spandrels; apse paintings of Christ on the
Cross and Christ in Majesty by Michael Hoare of Folkestone in 1967; 2-light west
window war memorial by L C Evetts of Newcastle in 1948.


Listing NGR: NZ3858262357

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.