This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1375 / 54°8'14"N
Longitude: -3.1985 / 3°11'54"W
OS Eastings: 321794
OS Northings: 471956
OS Grid: SD217719
Mapcode National: GBR 6N3L.BL
Mapcode Global: WH72H.V82H
Entry Name: The Abbey Tavern
Listing Date: 6 May 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025255
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388377
Location: Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13
Electoral Ward/Division: Roosecote
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Dalton-in-Furness St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
BARROW IN FURNESS
SD27SW ABBEY APPROACH
708-1/4/8 The Abbey Tavern
Public house. Early C19, extended 1848. Red sandstone, slate
roofs. 3 and 2 storeys, 2:3 windows to 1st floor. 3-storey
part on left: 3 pointed arched openings with later 3-light
traceried windows; lancet window on right. 1st floor has
transomed 4-light window with king mullion and hoodmould;
double-transomed stair window on right with pointed-arched
lights and continuous dripmould. 2nd floor has stepped 3-light
mullioned window with hoodmould and relieving arch.
Roll-moulded gable copings with finial, continuous parapet
wall and small gable over the stair window. Side gables;
external end stack on right. 2-storey part: C20 door through
transomed 4-light window on left; mullioned and transomed 2-
and 3-light windows on right have dripmoulds; offset buttress
at right corner. 1st floor: cross-windows with pointed-arched
lights; moulded eaves band; roll-moulded gable copings;
external end stack on right has offsets and moulded cap.
1-storey outbuildings against right return. Represents a
fragment of a substantial hotel that served the Furness
Railway. The hotel had been rebuilt from the remains of the
C17 house of Sir Thomas Preston but was largely demolished in
1951 and 1954. The ground floor of the 3-storey part was
formerly enclosed by a verandah.
(Dickinson J C: Furness Abbey: London: 1987-: 18-19;
Trescatheric B: Barrow in Furness in Old Picture Postcards:
Netherlands: 1982-: PL 82, 83).
Listing NGR: SD2193271852
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings