This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4546 / 51°27'16"N
Longitude: -2.5814 / 2°34'53"W
OS Eastings: 359696
OS Northings: 173007
OS Grid: ST596730
Mapcode National: GBR CCK.3D
Mapcode Global: VH88N.6PNR
Entry Name: Gardiner's Warehouse
Listing Date: 1 November 1966
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025259
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380634
Location: Bristol, BS2
County: City of Bristol
Unitary Authority Ward: Lawrence Hill
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Bristol St Philip and St Jacob with Emmanuel
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5972 STRAIGHT STREET
901-1/42/288 (North side)
01/11/66 Gardiner's Warehouse
(Formerly Listed as:
Warehouse. 1865. By WB Gingell. Broad Plain elevation 1884. By
C James. For Christopher Thomas and Brothers. Rock-faced
Pennant ashlar, grey and red Pennant ashlar and rubble, with
limestone dressings. Bristol Byzantine style with structural
polychromy. 3 storeys; 5-bays.
Rock-faced architraves to semicircular-arched doorways beneath
recessed semicircular-arched bays set beneath bracketed
cornice; to right end is 4-storey block similar to the Broad
Street elevation: 4 storeys; 5-window range. A battered plinth
of rock-faced Pennant beneath ashlar walls has tall
semicircular-arched openings rising to the first floor, with
rock-faced voussoirs and a deep impost band; above a plat band
the walls are red ashlar articulated by wide pilasters to
semicircular-arched recessed bays with dentilled imposts and
hoods; the sunken panels have paired second-floor windows with
plain ashlar surrounds; squared, coursed rubble above with a
plat band and moulded cornice coping; to the centre is a worn
panel of an Assyrian Lion (an old trade name) with palmette
decoration. On the N corner is a large rectangular tower with
narrow round-headed panels, deep imposts and an overhanging
INTERIOR not inspected. Originally part of Christopher Thomas
and Brothers' soap works.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 363; Somerville J: Christopher
Thomas, Soap Maker of Bristol: Bristol: 1991-).
Listing NGR: ST5969673007
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings