History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Part of Former House of Detention, Below Kingsway College Clerkenwell Centre

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5244 / 51°31'27"N

Longitude: -0.106 / 0°6'21"W

OS Eastings: 531490

OS Northings: 182308

OS Grid: TQ314823

Mapcode National: GBR N7.BQ

Mapcode Global: VHGQT.3YT8

Entry Name: Part of Former House of Detention, Below Kingsway College Clerkenwell Centre

Listing Date: 29 December 1950

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025279

English Heritage Legacy ID: 369337

Location: Islington, London, EC1R

County: London

District: Islington

London Borough Ward: Clerkenwell

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St James Clerkenwell

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Finsbury

Listing Text


ISLINGTON

TQ3182SW SANS WALK
635-1/73/752 (North side)
29/12/50 Part of former House of Detention,
below Kingsway College Clerkenwell
Centre
(Formerly Listed as:
SKINNER STREET
Hugh Myddelton Secondary School)

II

Former prison. Part of the lowest floor of the former
Middlesex House of Detention survives below the playground and
main buildings of the former Hugh Myddelton Schools, now
Kingsway College Clerkenwell Centre. 1845-1847 by William
Moseley; altered during the Second World War for use as an
air-raid shelter. Brick, stone and wrought iron. The largest
accessible part of the prison is the former female corridor,
which runs from the south-west to the north-east, with broad
'transepts' off its middle stages. There are cells off either
side of the passage, and elsewhere, and the passage is
interrupted but not blocked by later, transverse walls acting
as screens; the walls are of brick, the roofs formed of
shallow brick arches except for one space in the 'north
transept', formerly the warders' hall and clerk's office which
has granite columns and wrought iron beams; the floor is
generally of stone. The cells have cambered-arched entrances ,
some remaining metal window grilles, and some cast iron 'eyes'
in the wall, presumably for chaining up prisoners.
The female corridor was the southernmost range of the prison;
to the north of it was a central hall, roughly underneath the
hall of the present college building, with male corridors
running off to the west, north and east, and a shorter
administrative corridor to the south; part of the western
corridor is included separately (q.v.), and some parts
underneath the present college building are used by the
college (q.v.).
(Historians' file, English Heritage London Division).


Listing NGR: TQ3149082308

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.