This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.8956 / 54°53'44"N
Longitude: -2.9391 / 2°56'20"W
OS Eastings: 339868
OS Northings: 556053
OS Grid: NY398560
Mapcode National: GBR 7CXT.HV
Mapcode Global: WH802.T6MT
Entry Name: 19, Castle Street
Listing Date: 13 November 1972
Last Amended: 11 April 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025283
English Heritage Legacy ID: 386654
Location: Carlisle, Cumbria, CA3
Civil Parish: Non Civil Parish
District Council Ward: Castle
Traditional County: Cumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria
Church of England Parish: Carlisle St Cuthbert with St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Carlisle
NY3956SE CASTLE STREET
671-1/6/72 (East side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Nos.17 AND 19)
House now office. Dated and inscribed J & M F 1798 on shared
rainwater head, with extensive early and late C19 alterations
(a further rainwater head inscription C & A F 1898 is probably
only commemorating the centenary). Calciferous sandstone
ashlar facade (remainder of walls of Flemish bond brick) on
red sandstone plinth; first-floor sill course and eaves
cornice. Hipped graduated slate roof; shared original ridge
brick chimney stack.
3 storeys, 3 symmetrical bays, built as a pair with No.17.
Double-depth, central-stair plan. Facade is completely early
C19 and can be compared with the different original facade of
No.17. Central C20 double doors under moulded entablature and
recessed semicircular arch. Flanking C20 windows (sill level
lowered in 1989) in semicircular arches to match doorway.
Interval ground floor red sandstone pilasters, paired beyond
windows. First floor central sash window with glazing bars in
plain stone reveals flanked by tripartite windows under
elliptical super-ordinate arches. Upper floor windows in plain
stone reveals and stone sills. Return wall faces onto Long
Lane with some of the ground floor detail continued round the
corner. Rear 2-storey bowed bay window and round-headed
staircase window with intersecting glazing bars.
INTERIOR has rear principal ground floor room with elaborate
moulded plaster ceiling cornice. Original cantilever stone
staircase with scrolled wrought-iron balusters and moulded
wooden handrail. Some original panelled doors and panelled
HISTORY: This was the house of the Forster family; a Joseph
Forster married Mary Robinson on 11 December 1785 at St Mary's
Church and it is possible that they are the J & M F on the
rainwater head; when their banking business collapsed in 1837,
the house was to be sold and was advertised in Carlisle
Journal, 13 April 1839, described as having a "polished white
stone ashlar front". For illustration see Robert Fell (1981).
Home for the Carlisle Liberal Club 1881-5 and later the office
of the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme until
(Carlisle Journal: 13 April 1839; Fell, Robert: Carlisle
Liberal Club Ltd. Centenary, 1881-1981: 1981-: P.2).
Listing NGR: NY3986856053
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings