This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9853 / 50°59'6"N
Longitude: 0.9371 / 0°56'13"E
OS Eastings: 606242
OS Northings: 124758
OS Grid: TR062247
Mapcode National: GBR T07.3QT
Mapcode Global: FRA D6VH.WD3
Entry Name: Southlands Hospital
Listing Date: 28 August 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025300
English Heritage Legacy ID: 175067
Location: New Romney, Shepway, Kent, TN28
Civil Parish: New Romney
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
WEST STREET (South West Side)
Nos 1 to 4 (consec)
A group of Almshouses founded by John Southland and called after him Southland's
Hospital, They were founded in 1610 and rebuilt in1734. 2 storeys brown brick.
Tiled roof and brick modillion cornice, the bricks inserted diagonally with the
points protruding. The arrangement of the windows is rather unusual. Each house
has 1 sash on the ground and 1st floors and there are 2 sashes in all between the
ground and lst floors. The 5 sashes are set in moulded surrounds and both the ground
floor and the 2 sashes above have cambered heads. Plain doors with 4 narrow panels
running the whole length. Medieval stone rubble plinth with flint galleting.
Plaque: "This hospital being the gift of John Southland. Gent. Anno 1610 was
rebuilt at ye charge of Sir Robert Andrew and Sir Henry Furness Bart (date illegible)
and was further endowed by Thomas Baker Gent. Anno 1734 and by Richard Rothwell Da Daglish MRCS Anno 1908".
Cheriton Lodge, Nos 3 to 5 (consec), Southlands Hospital (Nos 1 to 4),
The Limes (Nos 1 & 2) form a group.
Listing NGR: TR0625424737
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings