This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.994 / 54°59'38"N
Longitude: -1.5174 / 1°31'2"W
OS Eastings: 430974
OS Northings: 566708
OS Grid: NZ309667
Mapcode National: GBR KBVP.8L
Mapcode Global: WHC3L.NQMW
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 18 August 1947
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025326
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303394
Location: North Tyneside, NE28
County: North Tyneside
Metropolitan District Ward: Wallsend
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Wallsend St Peter and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/01/2013
NZ 36 NW
CHURCH BANK (south side)
Church of St. Peter
Parish church dated 1809 and restoration 1892 on brass plaque in porch. Paid
for by tontine and partly by Dean and Chapter of Durham. Coursed squared
sandstone with plinth; snecked sandstone additions of chancel with south
aisle, tower buttresses and stair turret. Roofs of Welsh slate; stone flags
to stair turret. Church: west tower with south porch; nave and north vestry;
chancel and south porch. Perpendicular style. Pointed-arched west door in
chamfered, moulded surround, in porch of 3-stage tower; 3-light windows and
2-light belfry openings in upper stages; buttresses with many offsets, slit
windows in octagonal stair turret; battlemented parapet with gargoyles. 4-bay
nave has 3-light windows; 2-light windows in vestry with elliptical-headed
door. Square-headed chancel windows under flower-ornamented string on grotesque
animal corbels; string continuous to gable above 5-light 2-centred-arched east
window. Rough corbel table to nave. Pinnacled battlements. Interior plaster
with ashlar dressings above panelled dado. Wide double-chamfered chancel arch
on octagonal columns from which spring side arches to aisle and organ chamber.
Cusped, collared, hammer-beam and king post nave roof, with large angels on
hammers; panelled chancel roof. Font resited from Holy Cross Church (q.v.)
in west baptistry; 3 sedilia in south chancel. Glass in south aisle by
Atkinson; in north aisle by Ethel Rhine Strang. Source: W. Richardson
History of the Parish of Wallsend, 1923 pp 123-144.
Listing NGR: NZ3097466708
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings