This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.9905 / 54°59'25"N
Longitude: -1.5335 / 1°32'0"W
OS Eastings: 429947
OS Northings: 566308
OS Grid: NZ299663
Mapcode National: GBR KBQQ.SV
Mapcode Global: WHC3L.FT0L
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 18 August 1947
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025335
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303417
Location: North Tyneside, NE28
County: North Tyneside
Metropolitan District Ward: Wallsend
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Wallsend St Peter and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NZ 26 NE
STATION ROAD (west side)
Church of St. Luke
Parish church. 1885-87 by Oliver, Leeson and Wood; 1895 west vestries; 1906
tower, chancel and lady chapel; land given by G.B. Hunter. Rock-faced snecked
sandstone with ashlar dressings, plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with flat
stone gable copings.4-bay aisled nave with west porch and vestries; north-east
tower; south transept; apsed chancel and south lady chapel. Early English style.
Central west double door; plate-traceried 3-light west aisle windows; triple
aisle lancets and stepped triple clerestory lancets; 8-foil west window above 2
similar groups; 5 stepped east lancets. 3-stage tower. 3-light north window
in high first stage; lancets above and Y-traceried belfry openings. Corbel table and
panelled parapet; shallow set-back buttresses. Nave bellcote. Interior: painted
plaster with ashlar dressings. Boarded kingpost roofs. Dog-tooth moulding to round
nave arcade piers. Open arches to chancel, lady chapel and tower organ chamber;
paired columns to lady chapel; 2 steps to chancel, 2 to sanctuary.and 2 to altar.
Glass in north aisle by Baguley, Newcastle; west window in north aisle
as South African War Memorial; east window first World War Memorial by Wilhelmina
Geddes of Dublin.
Listing NGR: NZ 29947 66308
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings