History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Moorings

A Grade II Listed Building in Preston, North Tyneside

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.0105 / 55°0'37"N

Longitude: -1.4531 / 1°27'11"W

OS Eastings: 435076

OS Northings: 568576

OS Grid: NZ350685

Mapcode National: GBR LB9H.6N

Mapcode Global: WHD4R.NB86

Entry Name: The Moorings

Listing Date: 20 October 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025363

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303292

Location: North Tyneside, NE29

County: North Tyneside

Locality: Preston

Traditional County: Northumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: North Shields Christ Church

Church of England Diocese: Newcastle

Find accommodation in
Tynemouth

Listing Text

TYNEMOUTH BRIGHTMAN ROAD
NZ 3568 NW
North Shields
11/46
20.10.78 No. 16 (The Moorings)
G.V. II
House. 1850 dated on door architrave. Brick with stone plinth, rusticated quoins
and ashlar dressings. 2 storeys raised to 3; 4 windows. 6-panelled door under
oblong fanlight recessed in architrave in third bay; blind panel above, beneath
sill engraved A PIONEER FOR TYNE IMPROVEMENTS BY COMMISSIONERS. Architrave of
door inscribed 18 MOORINGS 50. Bracketed architraves to windows of ground and
first floor; eaves gutter cornice above first floor; third floor has sill band,
chamfered stone lintels to windows; brick pilasters with stone plinth and
capitals support kneelers of stone gable copings. Brick dentilled eaves cornice.
2 ashlar-corniced panelled end brick chimneys. Home of Chevalier Henry Anson
Brightman ennobled by the Emperor of Austria for his contribution, while
Austro-Hungarian Consul, to famine relief fund-raising. Brightman lived at
North Shields from 1847 until he died in 1902. He heped to form the Tyne Commission,
which wrested control of the lower reaches of the river from Newcastle Corporation
and deepened the channel to make it accessible to all vessels, increasing the
prosperity of Tyneside. He also obtained a Custom House at North Shields, so
bringing more trade to the lower riparian district. (Tyne and Wear County Archives.)
Roofless at time of survey.


Listing NGR: NZ3507668576

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.