This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.016 / 55°0'57"N
Longitude: -1.5687 / 1°34'7"W
OS Eastings: 427679
OS Northings: 569131
OS Grid: NZ276691
Mapcode National: GBR KBHF.5Q
Mapcode Global: WHC3K.W660
Entry Name: Church of St Bartholomew
Listing Date: 27 February 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025393
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303256
Location: North Tyneside, NE12
County: North Tyneside
Local Authority Ward: Benton
Built-Up Area: Longbenton
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Long Benton St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
LONGBENTON STATION ROAD
NZ 26 NE
Church of St. Bartholomew
Parish church. 1790 rebuilding of medieval church; 1842 repairs; 1873-5 repairs
and additions. Sandstone ashlar with plinth; Welsh slate roof with stone gable
copings; stone spire. Perpendicular style. West tower; 4-bay nave, north porch,
south aisle and porch; 3-bay chancel with south aisles, north vestry. 2-stage
tower has 2-light west window under 2-centred-arched belfry opening; diagonal
buttresses; corner pinnacles to battlements; octagonal spire with weather-vane.
South porch has deeply-recessed 2-centred-arched door under ogee drip mould.
South aisle windows of 2 and 3 lights; parapets, the porch battlemented.
Chancel, south aisle in similar style with 2 lancets. East window of 3 stepped
lancets under head-stopped dripmould. 2-bay north vestry has elliptical-headed
door. Interior: plaster with ashlar dressings; corbelled elliptical-arched braces
to collar-beam roof trusses with upper king posts. 2 small cross-incised grave
slabs set above aumbry and piscina. Grave slabs attached to east nave wall
commemorate John Fenwick died 1581, John Killingworth and members of his family
died 1587-1720; and to tower wall Edward Hindmarsh died 1708, Ralph Anderson died
1687. 1857 stone font. First World War bronze memorial slab on stone mount on
west wall. Non-pictorial glass by L.C. Evetts; Cl9 glass from east window resited
in south organ chamber. Sources: (Besley) Desultory Notices of the Church and
Vicarage of Long Benton, Newcastle 1843; M. Hope Dodds Northumberland County
History vol. XIII 1930, pp 397-400.
Listing NGR: NZ2767969131
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings