History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Aidan

A Grade II Listed Building in Shiney Row, Sunderland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8694 / 54°52'9"N

Longitude: -1.4684 / 1°28'6"W

OS Eastings: 434213

OS Northings: 552860

OS Grid: NZ342528

Mapcode National: GBR LD54.W8

Mapcode Global: WHD5B.DVZY

Entry Name: Church of St Aidan

Listing Date: 15 July 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303220

Location: Sunderland, DH4

County: Sunderland

Metropolitan District Ward: Shiney Row

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Herrington, Penshaw and Shiney Row

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
New Herrington

Listing Text

NZ35SW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING ST. AIDAN'S ROAD (South side)
4/64 New Herrington.

Church of St. Aidan

II

Parish church, 1885-6 by H. Morton of South Shields. Snecked sandstone with
ashlar dressings; graduated Scottish slate roof.
Nave, north and south aisles, north porch; chancel with north and south porches.
Early English style. North front: chancel porch has semi-circular drip-mould
over large 6-foil window in chamfered stone surround above paired lancets;
aisle a straight-headed door, one lancet and 3 paired lancets; north porch
pointed arch to door has 4 chamfers and drip mould; clerestory. 3 stepped
lancets to each bay under drip string. Cross and vane finials. Interior:
brick with sandstone ashlar dressings: 5-day double-chamfered nave arcades;
chancel has double piscina, chamfered vestry door, mosaic and terrazzo floor.
Marble inlay to font and pulpit. Light shades on nave arcades were for original
electric lighting supplied by the nearby colliery. Source: Sunderland Echo
20th July 1885 p.2.


Listing NGR: NZ3421352860

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.