History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kepier Grammer School

A Grade II* Listed Building in Houghton, Sunderland

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.8426 / 54°50'33"N

Longitude: -1.4682 / 1°28'5"W

OS Eastings: 434247

OS Northings: 549886

OS Grid: NZ342498

Mapcode National: GBR LD5F.XV

Mapcode Global: WHD5J.FJ2X

Entry Name: Kepier Grammer School

Listing Date: 26 April 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025443

English Heritage Legacy ID: 303177

Location: Sunderland, DH4

County: Sunderland

Electoral Ward/Division: Houghton

Built-Up Area: Houghton-le-Spring

Traditional County: Durham

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear

Church of England Parish: Houghton-le-Spring

Church of England Diocese: Durham

Find accommodation in
Houghton le Spring

Listing Text

NZ34NW HOUGHTON-LE-SPRING CHURCH STREET (north side)
Houghton-le-Spring
7/21
26.4.50 Kepier Grammar School

G.V. II*

Grammar School, now parish rooms and 2 flats. C18 incorporating C16 building.
Limestone and sandstone rubble with some quoins; roof concrete tiles.
L-shaped.2 storeys, 11 bays and 3 bays set back in right return. West
elevation : 2 sashes with glazing bars; then 5 bays having central projecting
gable to street flanked by modern sashes at ground floor and casements at first
to the left, one modern sash and one horizontal sliding sash under casements
at right. Gable to street contains 4-panelled double door under oblong
fanlight in architrave beneath inscription (commemorating founding in 1574)
dated 1724, inserted cusped lancet window, with head-stopped drip mould,
and 2 blocked-in square lights, in right return. Quoins to these 5 bays.
Then 3 bays with a 5-panelled door in flat Tuscan doorcase at left and
sash windows; and gable to street having one sash and inscription recording
repairs and additions in 1779. Roof has 2 end brick chimneys and 3 transverse
ridge brick chimneys. Historical note : founded by Bernard Gilpin, rector
of Houghton and John Heath of Kepyer.


Listing NGR: NZ3424949878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.