This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0149 / 51°0'53"N
Longitude: -0.1441 / 0°8'38"W
OS Eastings: 530278
OS Northings: 125585
OS Grid: TQ302255
Mapcode National: GBR JLT.6DN
Mapcode Global: FRA B6LF.FPP
Entry Name: Lamb Cottages
Listing Date: 11 December 1987
Last Amended: 3 September 1996
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 303007
Location: Cuckfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Cuckfield
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Cuckfield Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 32 NW CUCKFIELD WHITEMAN'S GREEN
Numbers, 1 and 2
Formerly a beer house called "The Lamb", now two cottages. No 1 is a C16 2-bay timberframed end chimney stack house refronted in the mid C19, no 2 mainly a mid C19 public house extension but retaining, because of a flying freehold, one bedroom within the earlier structure. No 1 has timberframe refronted in painted brick on the ground floor and first floor tile hung with some bands of curved tiles. Tiled roof 2 storeys, 2 windows. Two gabled dormers with wooden bargeboards and triple casement windows. First floor triple casement windows. Ground floor has later square bay to right hand side and 3-light casement to left. Central doorcase with flat wooden hood and plank door. External brick chimney stack to left hand side. No 2 has ground floor of brown brick with red brick dressings and first floor tile hung with pattern of curved tiles. Half-hipped tiled roof 2 storeys; one window. Casement window and left side doorcase with gabled wooden weatherhood on brackets. Interior of no 1 retains square framing with diagonal wind braces. some wattle and daub remains in the walls and there are old oak floor boards. Bressumer to fireplace which has a spice cupboard and bread oven. chamfered spine beam with lamb's tongue stop. The deeds of the property go back only to 1703.
Listing NGR: TQ3027825585
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings