History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marshalls

A Grade II* Listed Building in Cuckfield, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.0068 / 51°0'24"N

Longitude: -0.1422 / 0°8'32"W

OS Eastings: 530434

OS Northings: 124692

OS Grid: TQ304246

Mapcode National: GBR JLT.T04

Mapcode Global: FRA B6LG.2F1

Entry Name: Marshalls

Listing Date: 10 September 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 302959

Location: Cuckfield, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17

County: West Sussex

District: Mid Sussex

Civil Parish: Cuckfield

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Cuckfield Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Cuckfield

Listing Text


TQ 3024 NW CUCKFIELD HIGH STREET
(west side)
7/47 Marshalls
10.9.51
GV II*
Manor house, now house and former stables. c1575 timber-framed building refronted
in mid C18 with later extensions. Stables C17. East elevation has facade of Ardingly sandstone ashlar, side elevations are of C17 brickwork in English bond, west elevation
is timber-framed with red brick infill. Horsham stone slab roof. 3 bay house with
projecting stair turret to rear. East elevation has 3 tripartite sashes. Moulded
sandstone bands between floors. Central splayed porch with sidelights, ogee-shaped
fanlight and 6 panelled door. Approached up 9 stone steps with cast iron railings,
having scrolled newel posts. The roof has a central gabled 3-light casement dormer,
moulded cornice with kneelers having lozenge decoration and 2 large end brick
chimney stacks, the north one external. Attached to the south is a former stables
and coach-house now part of the house. Probably C17. The south front is of red
brick with modillion eaves cornice, the east and north sides are of ashlar sandstone.
Modern tiled roof and modern windows. House has fine interior including parlour
with C16 stone 4 centred fireplace and panelling from Slaugham Manor (qv Butler's
Green House, Haywards Heath) including a painted wood panel with a Coat of Arms
thought to relate to Slaugham Manor. 4 C16 stone door surrounds in ground floor,
kitchen with large wooden bressummer and set of 6 Victorian servants bells, original
wooden winder staircase and first floor stone fireplace, original blocked large
3-light mullioned window and 3 door surrounds with Tudor rose motifs.


Listing NGR: TQ3043424692

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.