This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0921 / 51°5'31"N
Longitude: -0.1193 / 0°7'9"W
OS Eastings: 531800
OS Northings: 134215
OS Grid: TQ318342
Mapcode National: GBR KM6.DN4
Mapcode Global: FRA B6M7.KBD
Entry Name: Worth Abbey
Listing Date: 11 May 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025530
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302883
Location: Turners Hill, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH10
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Turners Hill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Worth St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
WORTH PADDOCKHURST ROAD
TQ 33 SW 6/579
Roman Catholic School, the east front of the north-west wing, which was
originally the stables, has the date 1865 on it. But the main portion of the
north wing was built by George Smith between 1869 and 1872 and was one of the
last works of Anthony Salvin. Tudor style. Three storeys. Ashlar. Modern
tiled roof. Casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. the main portion
has 9 windows. Non-central tower of an extra storey and projecting porch beyond
this with octagonal buttresses at the angles surmounted by figures of griffins.
Projection of one window-bay at north end with gable over containing a cartouche.
To the south of the tower the ground and first floors project and have windows
with trefoil-headed lights on the ground floor and an arcaded loggia at the north
end of the first floor. To the north is a service wing of 8 windows and 8 gables.
The rain-water heads are dated 1921, and the 2 northernmost window-bays were
probably added at that date.
The south-west wing was added in 1883 and has that date on it and the initials
"R.W." Two storeys. Its north front has 6 windows. Irregular projections of a
chimney breast, low circular tower and ground floor portion at east end. The
south front has 10 windows. Parapet. Gable at east end. Two projections, one
splayed, one rectangular. The hall at the west end is of one storey and projects
with a large bay and windows of 3 tiers of lights. This hall contains panelling
and a large tiered Elizabethan-style chimney-piece.
To the north-east of the south front is an L addition by Sir Aston Webb of 1897.
Two storeys and attic. Five windows. Three dormers. Two bays of 2 tiers of
5 lights with trefoil heads. Projection at east end flanked by octagonal buttresses
with copper ogee-domes and gablet between. At the back this wing is faced with
imitation timbering. This wing also has good internal features including a
stucco frieze by Walter Crane of the history of transport.
Further east is a single-storeyed section, originally an orangery or conservatory.
Seven round-headed windows flanked by half-columns with parapet over. Modern
additions behind the south-east wing.
Listing NGR: TQ3184534467
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings