This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0496 / 51°2'58"N
Longitude: -0.1953 / 0°11'42"W
OS Eastings: 526597
OS Northings: 129353
OS Grid: TQ265293
Mapcode National: GBR JLB.5FV
Mapcode Global: FRA B6GB.ZNW
Entry Name: Nymans
Listing Date: 29 September 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025612
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302776
Location: Slaugham, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Slaugham
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Staplefield Common St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SLAUGHAM STAPLEFIELD ROAD
TQ 22 NE 10/215 29.9.81
There was a medieval house on this site. Some portions of this, notably the C15
hall, survive inside the present building. But that house was largely rebuilt in
1839. Of this rebuilding there survives the north or service wing. This is of
2 storeys and 4 windows. Stuccoed. Slate roof. Sash windows on first floor with
glazing bars. Pointed casement windows and pointed doorway on ground floor. The
main or south wing was rebuilt by the Messel family in 1890 and again in 1925-30.
The second rebuilding was in Cotswold Manor House style. Architect Sir Walter Tapper.
A fire occurred in 1947 which burned out the south-west wing. The house was left
to the National Trust by Colonel Messel in 1954. The main or south front is
E-shaped with projections of unequal length. Two storeys and attic. Four windows.
Stone Horsham slab roof. Casement windows. Three gabled projections of unequal
length. The east and longest one is still a burned out roofless shell.
Listing NGR: TQ2659729353
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings