This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0665 / 51°3'59"N
Longitude: -0.0897 / 0°5'22"W
OS Eastings: 533950
OS Northings: 131418
OS Grid: TQ339314
Mapcode National: GBR KMM.24R
Mapcode Global: FRA B6P9.JX0
Entry Name: Wakehurst Place
Listing Date: 28 October 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025764
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302325
Location: Ardingly, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH17
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Ardingly
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Ardingly
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
ARDINGLY TURNERS HILL ROAD
TQ 33 SW 6/437 28.10.57
The property of the National Trust. Administered by Kew Gardens. This house was
built by Sir Edward Culpeper in 1590. It originally formed a complete court-yard,
but the south side of this was demolished before 1697. The east and west sides were
shortened by two-thirds in 1848 and refaced on their south front with old stone.
The house is therefore E-shaped today. It was restored by Sir Aston Webb for
Sir William Boord in 1890. The whole of the south front was taken down, the stones
numbered and replaced after careful restoration in 1938. The house is built of Sussex
sandstone ashlar with a Horsham slab roof. 3-storeys. 7 windows. The wings have
gables with kneelers, coping and ball finials at the apex and above the kneelers.
In the centre is a smaller projection of 3-storeys surmounted by a similar scrolled
gable. On its ground floor is the porch having a round headed doorway with Doric
columns on pedestals with a cornice over, and the initials E. C. The first floor
window above is flanked by similar Ionic pilasters with a triangular pediment over
having a statue on each side of this. Between the porch and the wings are 2 gabled
dormers on each side, the outer ones projecting slightly with a bay below them on
ground and first floors. The inner face of the wings have similar dormers.
Four-light casement windows with stone mullions and transoms. The north-east wing
and the 1-storey wing on the east were added by the Marchioness of Downshire in
1869-70; and the north porch by Sir Aston Webb for lord Wakehurst in 1903. The
interior has its contemporary staircase; also panelling, fireplaces and over-mantels,
but the position of these has been moved in several cases. Manners Sutton, Speaker
of the House of Commons, later Viscount Canterbury, and Sir Alexander Cockburn,
Lord Chief Justice, were tenants of the house in the eighteen thirties.
Listing NGR: TQ3395031418
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings