This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8398 / 50°50'23"N
Longitude: -0.4353 / 0°26'7"W
OS Eastings: 510268
OS Northings: 105644
OS Grid: TQ102056
Mapcode National: GBR GKW.BRF
Mapcode Global: FRA 96ZW.871
Entry Name: Castle Goring
Listing Date: 11 October 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025839
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302214
Location: Worthing, West Sussex, BN13
County: West Sussex
District Council Ward: Northbrook
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Durrington St Symphorian
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 10 NW 23/71 11.10.49.
Built by Shelley's grandfather, Sir Bysshe Shelley, about 1797-8. The south front
is in Palladian style, the north front Gothic, though both were built at the same
date. 3 storeys. 5 windows to each front and flanking pavilion on each side.
The Palladian front was designed by Biagio Rebecca and is said to be a copy of a
villa near Rome. It is of yellow brick. The centre portion of 3 windows projects
slightly with stuccoed Ionic pilasters and entablature and pediment with the Shelley
arms in tympanum. Sculptured Coade stone panels dated 1797 and 1798 between lst
and 2nd floor windows. The rest of the front has a cornice continued from the centre
portion of the house and parapet above, and 1st floor windows in arcading with arched
panels over and balustrading beneath. On ground floor portico with 6 fluted Doric
columns in front of 3 central windows with 2 flights of curved staircase on either
side with iron hand rail. Above balcony with similar iron railing in front of the
Large pavilion or wing at east and west ends, the former containing the kitchen
and dairy and communicating with the house, the latter containing the original stables
and only joined to the house by a connecting wall with a door through it. These
pavilions have curved ends with stuccoed Ionic columns, entablature and pseudo-castellated
The Gothic front is of flint and sandstone. Centre and ends project slightly.
Square tower in centre, castellated parapet at ends. Large recessed porch in centre.
This front of the pavilions is also gothicised. The stables have 2 round turrets,
the kitchen a large perpendicular style window. Curved wooden staircase inside,
lit by glass dome in centre of the house which is not visible from either front
Listing NGR: TQ1024205654
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings