This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9573 / 50°57'26"N
Longitude: -0.1332 / 0°7'59"W
OS Eastings: 531205
OS Northings: 119200
OS Grid: TQ312192
Mapcode National: GBR JMD.WPD
Mapcode Global: FRA B6LL.5WR
Entry Name: The Parish Church of St John
Listing Date: 22 April 1950
Last Amended: 27 November 1975
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025854
English Heritage Legacy ID: 302096
Location: Burgess Hill, Mid Sussex, West Sussex, RH15
County: West Sussex
District: Mid Sussex
Civil Parish: Burgess Hill
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Burgess Hill St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ 31 NW BURGESS HiLL CRESCENT ROAD
1/1 The Parish Church of St John
Church. 1861-3 with vestry added in 1889. Architect T Talbot Bury. Gothic style. Polychrome brickwork in Flemish bond. Red brick with diaper designs in black and yellow brick and Wealden sandstone dressings. Tiled roof with bands of plain and fishscale tiles. Three and a half bay nave, north and south aisles, south porch, transepts, chancel and NW tower with spire. NW tower of3 stages. Top or bell stage has double trefoil windows with circular window above and tall gables with iron crosses. Angel waterspouts at corners. Double trefoil lancets to middle stage and arched doorcase to ground floor. Deep plinth. Buttresses. Diaper patterns. Tiled spire with bands of plain and fishscale tiles. Nave west end has traceried window with five trefoiled lights. Clerestorey has two double and two triple quatrefoil windows. South aisle has double or triple trefoil windows; north aisle has three gables. Gabled south porch with colonnettes and triple window. South transept has rose window with two double trefoiled windows beneath and lancets to sides. North transept similar but with lancets below rose window and arched doorcase below. Chancel has traceried east window and double trefoil windows to sides with quatrefoils above. Attached polygonal vestry to north east. This and the north transept have been converted into a parish hall and pastoral centre.
INTERIOR; Nave of three and a half bays, the west end having originally had a gallery. Octagonal columns to arcade. Arched braced roof with kingposts. Octagonal font and original pews. Lectern and pulpit of wood gilded. Elaborate wooden chancel screen. Marble and stone altar. Chancel roof a more elaborate arch braced type. Stained glass in south aisle by Mayer and Co of Munich and London and the East window could also be by the same firm. Although the walls have been whitewashed some of the polychrome brickwork is showing through in the chancel. C20 screen has closed off north transept and north aisle from rest of church.
Listing NGR: TQ3120519200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings