History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunford House west Lavington (Ymca) Dunford House

A Grade II Listed Building in Heyshott, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9662 / 50°57'58"N

Longitude: -0.7356 / 0°44'8"W

OS Eastings: 488881

OS Northings: 119288

OS Grid: SU888192

Mapcode National: GBR DF9.6V3

Mapcode Global: FRA 96BK.C7J

Entry Name: Dunford House west Lavington (Ymca) Dunford House

Listing Date: 18 June 1959

Last Amended: 26 November 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1025929

English Heritage Legacy ID: 301880

Location: Heyshott, Chichester, West Sussex, GU29

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Heyshott

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Heyshott St James

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Midhurst

Listing Text

SU 81 NE HEYSHOTT DUNFORD HOLLOW
17/18 West Lavington (YMCA)
Dunford House
18.6.59 (formerly listed as Durnford
College)
- II
1852-3 Villa style. House. Richard Cobden was born in the farmhouse that stood on
this site on the 3rd June 1804. This was sold by his grandfather in 1809 but in
1847 he repurchased the property and in 1852 or 1853 rebuilt the house, which he
continued to occupy until his death on the 2nd April 1866. His daughter, Jane
Cobden Unwin, and her husband, T. Fisher Cobden, gave the house to the Cobden
Memorial Association to form an institute in memory of the life and work of Richard
Cobden for peace, free trade and goodwill, as a tablet in the porch records. It
contains pictures and books that belonged to Cobden, John Bright and others and is
listed for historical reasons. Stuccoed. 2 storey. 7 windows facing south.
Modillion eaves cornice. Hipped slate roof. 2 bays on ground floor. Doorway
between with side lights, these and the doorway itself flanked by pilasters with
cornice over. Tower at the east end behind the porch. Modern additions behind.


Listing NGR: SU8888119288

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.