This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9068 / 50°54'24"N
Longitude: -0.7753 / 0°46'31"W
OS Eastings: 486204
OS Northings: 112639
OS Grid: SU862126
Mapcode National: GBR DG0.2SJ
Mapcode Global: FRA 968Q.1R4
Entry Name: Palm House 50 Metres to North of Main Building
Listing Date: 18 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026086
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301553
Location: West Dean, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: West Dean
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: East Dean, Singleton and West Dean
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
The following building shall be added:-
WEST DEAN WEST DEAN PARK
33/216D Palm House 50m to
north of main
Palm House or Orangery. Late C.18 or early C.19, re-roofed probably in circa 1900
Brick with glass and iron roof. Rectangular single vessel structure with seven bays.
Each bay contains a 2-centred headed opening with mullion and transom window with
Y tracery head. The panels are divided into vertical panes. The roof is hipped at
either end and the central ridge is supported on cast-iron brackets, glazing bars
are otherwise wooden. Each window has two stone brackets supposedly to support
orange trees when put out in the summer. Similar openings with foot doors in the end
walls. Later lean-to extensions at rear. Said to have originated as a Palm House and
was later converted to an orangery when re-roofed, probably by William James.
Listing NGR: SU8620412639
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings