This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8886 / 50°53'18"N
Longitude: -0.9289 / 0°55'43"W
OS Eastings: 475437
OS Northings: 110442
OS Grid: SU754104
Mapcode National: GBR CDP.603
Mapcode Global: FRA 86YR.FXW
Entry Name: The North Lodge of Stansted House
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Last Amended: 28 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026189
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301296
Location: Stoughton, Chichester, West Sussex, PO9
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Stoughton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Octagon
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 70 NE
6/294B The North Lodge of Stansted
House (Formerly listed as
5.6.58 Middle Lodge, Stansted Park)
Built by Thomas Hopper in 1840. 2 storeys. 3 windows facing south, 2 win-
dows facing east and west. Faced with Roman cement. Hipped slate roof.
Each window bay is flanked by twin pilasters supporting the cornice and
parapet. In the centre is a heavy portico of 4 Doric columns with pediment.
The windows on the east and west sides are flanked by pilasters forming
round-headed arcading over the first floor windows. On the west side is
a plaque recording 'The new plantation of this avenue was commenced on the
last day of the reign of His Majesty George III of blessed memory Saturday
January 29 1820. J Holden Sculpt'. The avenue in question leads west
through Stansted Forest from the house to Rowlands Castle.
Listing NGR: SU7543710442
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings