This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9081 / 50°54'29"N
Longitude: -0.7376 / 0°44'15"W
OS Eastings: 488854
OS Northings: 112828
OS Grid: SU888128
Mapcode National: GBR DFW.SG3
Mapcode Global: FRA 96BP.Y77
Entry Name: Fox Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026196
English Heritage Legacy ID: 301210
Location: Singleton, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Singleton
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: East Dean, Singleton and West Dean
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SINGLETON CHARLTON VILLAGE
34/161 Fox Hall
Probably designed by Lord Burlington. This little building was a hunting
lodge of the Duke of Richmond. It was built by the second Duke in 1730.
In 1731 he took over from the Duke of Bolton the ownership of the Charlton
Hunt, which throughout most of the eighteenth century was the most renowned
pack in England, even above those of the Shires. It remained so in the time
of the third Duke who employed George Stubbs to paint various versions of the
hunt. The hounds were sold by the fourth Duke to the Prince Regent in 1813.
The building is very plain on the outside and gives no hint of its character
or interior. Two storeys and attic in gable ends. One window facing West,
one window and 2 window-spaces facing South. Cemented front with long and
short quoins to the ground floor. Stringcourse. Slate roof. Glazing bars
intact. Ground floor window in heavy rusticated surround. First floor
window in moulded architrave surround with pediment over on consoles.
Chimney breast on the North wall. The interior of the ground floor room,
said to have been the butler's room, is quite plain, likewise the 2 small
bedrooms on the attic floor. But the first floor is a sort of piano nobile.
It is a grand Palladian room with gilded panelling, fine chimney-piece and
bed recess with a closet on either side of it. The Duke of Richmond used
to sleep the night before the meet here as the hunt always met at 8 am.
Photograph in "A Duke and his Friends" by the Earl of March (later the
seventh Duke of Richmond). Now in the care of the Landmark Trust.
Listing NGR: SU8887312828
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings