History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Eartham House

A Grade II Listed Building in Eartham, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8753 / 50°52'31"N

Longitude: -0.6667 / 0°40'0"W

OS Eastings: 493905

OS Northings: 109267

OS Grid: SU939092

Mapcode National: GBR FHW.091

Mapcode Global: FRA 96HS.G2S

Entry Name: Eartham House

Listing Date: 5 June 1958

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1026365

English Heritage Legacy ID: 300805

Location: Eartham, Chichester, West Sussex, PO18

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Eartham

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Eartham St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Eartham

Listing Text

EARTHAM EARTHAM LANE
SU 90 NW
14/81 Eartham House
5.6.58
- II

Before 1800 there was a house on this site occupied by the poet William
Hayley who laid out gardens round it. In 1800 he sold the house to William
Huskisson, MP for Chichester, who enlarged it. This house was entirely
rebuilt in 1905 by Sir Edwin Lutyens but the interior contains one room, the
drawing-room with the principal bedroom over it, which has simple Regency
decorations and good fireplaces. The modern house which faces south is in
Lutyens simpler manner. Two storeys and attic. Faced with roughcast. Coved
eaves cornice. Tiled roof. Windows with Venetian shutters and glazing bars.
The south front has a recessed centre of four windows and four dormers with a
projecting conservatory on the ground floor. Beyond this are 2 projecting
wings of two windows each with hips over them and then one further recessed
window bay on each side. The west front has five windows, the centre one
recessed. The north front has eight windows, the three westernmost ones
recessed, the remainder having two projections and two windows, one dormer and
a hip over each and one recessed window bay between these. Service wing of
three windows to the east.


Listing NGR: SU9390709264

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.