History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cookes House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bury, West Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9156 / 50°54'56"N

Longitude: -0.5786 / 0°34'42"W

OS Eastings: 500019

OS Northings: 113868

OS Grid: TQ000138

Mapcode National: GBR FHD.JK5

Mapcode Global: FRA 96PP.6FX

Entry Name: Cookes House

Listing Date: 22 February 1955

Last Amended: 22 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1026532

English Heritage Legacy ID: 300393

Location: Bury, Chichester, West Sussex, RH20

County: West Sussex

District: Chichester

Civil Parish: Bury

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex

Church of England Parish: Bury St John the Evangelist with Houghton St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Bury

Listing Text

TQ 0013 BURY WEST BURTON

26/28 Cookes House (formerly
listed as Coke's House)
22.2.55

GV II*


House. Originally known as Halls Place. Margaret Hall married Richard Cook in the
late C16, and the house may have been built by them about 1588, which date appears on
the west front towards the north end near the ground, or by another member of the
Hall family slightly earlier. The original building was L-shaped. Two storeys and
attic in gable end. Three windows facing west. Stone rubble with red brick quoins
and dripstones to the windows (one of the dripstones being stone). Casement windows
with stone mullions. Horsham slab roof. The porch, which is not central, was
probably added by Allan Cooke in 1610 as it has this date and his initials on it, but
it also has the date 1656 and the intiials N.C. (Nicholas Cooke). It has a shaped
gable with ball finials at its apex and angles and a 4-centred stone archway with a
projecting stone cornice on brackets and the above dates in the frieze. The inner
doorway is in a 4-centred arch in brick with brick dripstone. The north gable end
has an attic window and the date 1663, again with the initials of Nicholas Cooke. On
the east side the original L-wing containing the kitchen has a tall stone chimney
stack with 4 brick shafts and to the north of it a small tall gabled projection which
contains the staircase. Parallel with these a modern wing has been added in matching
style with 2 gables. The Parlour in the south-west corner of the house has early C17
panelling and above it a fine contemporary plaster frieze of festoons of fruit and
flowers. C16 brick fireplaces. The staircase is built round a hollow square
enclosed to form cupboards. Articles in the Sussex County Magazine Vol 3 p 356, and
in Country Life of 1909 and of 31 October and 7 November 1947.


Listing NGR: TQ0001913868

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.