This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8367 / 50°50'12"N
Longitude: -0.7824 / 0°46'56"W
OS Eastings: 485836
OS Northings: 104840
OS Grid: SU858048
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.F1H
Mapcode Global: FRA 967W.K0Q
Entry Name: The Prebendal School
Listing Date: 8 October 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026581
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300297
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chichester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
No 52 (The Prebendal School)
SU 8504 NE 3/147
With No 53 (Prebendal School House).
Gothic building renovated in 1830 (had been re-founded in 1497). Tall
narrow building. Some medieval features remain. Northern front of
dressed flints with galletted flint, and stone quoins and dressings.
4 storeys (including cellar or undercroft). Parapet. Pointed gable
rising from parapet. Stringcourse above ground floor. 1 window bay.
Windows with lattice tracery and pointed panes set in square headed stone
arches; 2 lights with 1 tier each to attic storey window; 3 lights with 2
tiers each to 1st floor window. Double wooden boarded door set in 4
centred arch with stone architrave. Round arched opening to cellar. 2
original windows with corbels (1 blocked) in dormitory and passageway at
2nd storey level; panelling in 1st floor. Turret stair-well behind to
south-west. Semi-circular arched opening to cellar in north front; this
part of cellar now blocked up.
Nos 52 to 56 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8585004839
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings