This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8404 / 50°50'25"N
Longitude: -0.7591 / 0°45'32"W
OS Eastings: 487467
OS Northings: 105279
OS Grid: SU874052
Mapcode National: GBR DGT.6WM
Mapcode Global: FRA 969W.82D
Entry Name: The John Abel Smith Memorial Chapel
Listing Date: 12 July 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026589
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300318
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Whyke St George
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
972 CHURCH ROAD
The Jolm Abel Smith
So 8705 14/627
Circa 1872; to the design of Sir George Gllbert Scott. Richly detailed
small mortuary chapel in Early Englieh style. Walls faced with ashlar; partly
plain tile roof, with ashlar coping and cruciform finals to gable ends. Two
bay side elvations with gabled corner and centre buttresses, each bay ubdivided
by a three bay double arcade of coupled columns above a panelled base; oolumns,
with oapitals with stiff-leaf folige set below pinted arches with trefoiled
heads anti with labels with foliaged corbels; wrought-iron grilled set within
the arcade openings; trefoiled corbel-table beneath stringcourse and
parapet with coping. Richly moulded and carved entrance with trefoiled arch
set within moulded pointed arch, above column shafts with foliage; wrought iron
gates set within the entrance; hexafoiled panel over.
The John Abel Papers, with documents relating to Mortuary Chapel, are
deposited with the Sussex County Records 0ffice.
Listing NGR: SU8746705279
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings