This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.8371 / 50°50'13"N
Longitude: -0.7829 / 0°46'58"W
OS Eastings: 485798
OS Northings: 104880
OS Grid: SU857048
Mapcode National: GBR DGS.DWP
Mapcode Global: FRA 967W.JSP
Entry Name: The John Edes House
Listing Date: 5 July 1950
Last Amended: 8 October 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1026616
English Heritage Legacy ID: 300284
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Built-Up Area: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Chichester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
972 (North Side)
The John Edes House
(formerly Westgate House)
SU 8504 NE 3/136 5.7.5O.
1696. This house has often been attributed to Wren, but the Victoria County
History and other architectural critics dissent. 2 storeys, attic and basement.
7 windows. Red brick with Portland stone dressings and centre portion. The
shape of the house is a central portion with 2 slightly projecting wings.
String-course above ground floor. Cornice above 1st floor with modillions and
egg and dart moulding below. Tiled hipped roof with lead ridges. 1 dormer in
each wing. Pediment over central portion. Original casement wipdows with
leaded panes and keystones over. Doorway up steps with pilasters of quoins,
flat arch, semi-circular fanlight, broken curved pediment and 6 panel moulded
doors. The approach has been altered in modern times. In the place of a brick
wall some way in front of the house, a low stone wall has been built at the bottom
of the steps which hides the basement windows. The pair of panelled stone piers
supporting pineapples which previously flanked the entrance to the house in the
middle of the brick wall has been moved to the entrance to the County Hall at the
side and a similar pair, copied from them, were at the same time placed each side
of the exit on the other side, but have since been removed. The garden front has
a porch with Ionic columns and a room above, added later. Good panelling inside.
Church of St Peter, Nos 21 to 25 (consec), The John Edes House and Nos 27
to 33 (consec) form a group.
Listing NGR: SU8579404879
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings